2011-03-30

"Can I give this lady some free guac?"

I wasn’t a picky kid when I was younger, but there was one thing I couldn’t stand. Avocados. Oh, the texture. The smooshy green pieces slid down your throat. There wasn’t anything that I couldn’t eat, but avocados… they made me gag. Really gag.

We have a policy in our family that no matter what it is, no matter how much you hate it, you have to eat a tiny bit every time it’s served. So I did. I’d quickly search my salad, or whatever it was, pick out one nice gooy piece, and with glass in hand quickly swallow it.

I’m not sure when it happened. Or how it did. But I like avocados now, and like is a weak word. Actually I love avocados now. And it wasn’t something that slowly happened, it was a sudden occurrence. Now I can’t get enough of them. It’s sort of sad, because living in Minnesota means that they are expensive, not very plentiful and mushy by the time you get to them (or they get to you).

When I went to visit my friend in the Bahamas and, get this, she has an avocado tree in her back yard! We literally ate them for breakfast , lunch and supper. And any time we were hungry. Lots of salt and pepper. Creole seasoning. On their own. Mmmmm, delicious. Nice and firm, just picked and perfectly ripe, and huge. I’d never seen such big ones. We brought them to the island, and they were even better there. So I ate my fill for ten days, and now I dream about them.

Oh and then there’s guacamole... I used the think it was smooshy* and not worth ruining your chip for. Not anymore. Blend up that gorgeous green stuff, add some lime juice and salt, crush some garlic and pull out the chips. Especially Chipotle’s guac, it’s smooth and creamy, with cilantro and salsa. Add a burrito and it’s heaven. Plus, bring your mom along. Because she’s amazing at getting free stuff.


[This was a lot harder than I thought it was going to be... sorry guys! hahah, I think I'll stick to letting Jennette assign us stuff. I *do* want to try something like this again... maybe something a little less specific...]

2 comments:

  1. Hm. Well. I can tell you had trouble with it. Quite frankly, it's messy. I'll just dissect one sentence: "It’s sort of sad, because living in Minnesota means that they are expensive, not very plentiful and mushy by the time you get to them (or they get to you)."

    "It's sad; living in Minnesota means they are scarce, expensive, and mushy by the time they reach you."

    See how I just cut your word count in half? I know you are a better writer than this, so I'm going to be the cruel schoolmarm and say you need to rewrite it. Maybe not entirely, but for goodness' sake, edit!

    p.s. I still like you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... I don't still like you. ;) haha

    I knew it needed a lot of work, and now that you've pointed it out.. it has way too many words. Back to work.....

    ReplyDelete

I like comments. And not just nice ones. Comment away.....